Faculty Position at Bowdoin College - Physical Biochemistry / Biophysical Chemistry
The Bowdoin College Chemistry Department and Biochemistry Program seek applicants for an
appointment in physical biochemistry / biophysical chemistry (broadly defined) beginning Fall
2015. A Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry or a related field is required. The tenure track or
tenured joint appointment to Chemistry and Biochemistry will be made at the Assistant,
advanced Assistant or Associate professor level, depending on qualifications and experience.
The teaching load is three courses per year, which includes responsibility for teaching a
thermodynamics course appropriate for chemistry and biochemistry majors. Other courses will
include contributions at the introductory level and courses at any level that will contribute to
the curricula of the chemistry and biochemistry majors. Full-time laboratory instructor support
is provided for most courses. The successful candidate must possess a strong commitment to
undergraduate education and demonstrate the potential to develop a funded, active, and
productive research program that involves undergraduates, especially those interested in
Bowdoin College accepts only electronic submissions. Please visit
to submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a statement of research plans, a statement on
teaching philosophy and contact information for three people to provide letters of
Review of applications, including letters of recommendation, will begin
October 6, 2014.
A highly selective liberal arts college on the Maine coast with a diverse student body made up
of 31% students of color, 5% international students and approximately 15% first generation
college students, Bowdoin College is committed to equality and diversity and is an equal
opportunity employer. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute
to the cultural, socio-economic, and ethnic diversity of our college. Bowdoin College does not
discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual
orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment, or in our
Bowdoin College offers strong support for faculty research and teaching. We recognize that
recruiting and retaining faculty may involve considerations of spouses and domestic partners.
To that end, where possible, the College will attempt to accommodate and respond creatively to
the needs of spouses and partners of members of the faculty.
For further information about the College please visit our website:
POSTDOCTORAL SCIENTIST- PHARMACEUTICAL DEVELOPMENT (Protein)
JOB SUMMARY: We require a highly motivated Postdoctoral Scientist to work on protein stability & aggregation as it relates to therapeutic protein development. The current postdoctoral project is designed to understand the fundamental mechanism/s of protein instability, sub-visible particulate formation and aggregation using variety of chromatographic, biophysical and biochemical tools.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate physical and biophysical properties of peptides, proteins, and bioconjugates relevant to drug development and subsequently communicate the interpretation and implication of results to clients.
- Develop analytical and high throughput biophysical methods to characterize product variants
- Execute and oversee specialized analytical testing and generation of technical documents
- Maintain a strong awareness of current scientific literature, particularly in the area of protein characterization, and actively apply new concepts as appropriate.
- Design experiments to develop pre-clinical and clinical formulations of drug candidates to support drug discovery and development.
- Design experiments to determine the stability in prototype clinical formulations, to detect and identify the decomposition products, and to achieve formulations with acceptable shelf-life.
- Perform laboratory experiments related to the above.
- Create presentations for outside scientific meetings and conferences to showcase Wolfe Laboratories’ scientific leadership in the field of protein analysis and characterization.
- Interface with clients to develop an in-depth understanding of client objectives and define solutions to meet their program requirements
- Develop compelling approaches and solutions to address client needs
- Write persuasive proposals for the projects
- Regularly interact with clients to keep them abreast of project progress
- Write and review interim and final reports.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry, Biomolecular engineering, Organic Chemistry, Chemical engineering or closely related disciplines
- In depth experience in the area of protein biophysics involving structure-folding-stability relationships. This includes purification, stability, kinetics and thermodynamics of folding of monomeric proteins, particularly as they relate to the pre-formulation and formulation development of new drugs
- Hands-on experience with chromatographic method development as well as techniques used for biophysical characterization of biopharmaceutical products such as calorimetry, spectroscopy, higher order structure analysis, protein mass spectroscopy, CE, HPLC, ELISA, and carbohydrate analysis.
- Strong knowledge of Organic Chemistry principles
- A demonstrated drive to apply technical knowledge to developing drug formulations
- Established track record of significant contributions as an individual technical expert
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills as well as polished and persuasive client presentation skills
- Good understanding of excipient and ligand interaction with proteins
- Evaluation of thermodynamic and kinetic models
- Experience in creating and delivering trainings
REQUIRED BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE BACKGROUND:
WHERE THIS JOB COULD LEAD:
At Wolfe Laboratories Inc., we pride ourselves on retaining and growing our team members, and ensuring they are developing to their full potential. This position can provide many different avenues for advancement, including:
- Training towards becoming a Project Manager
- Leader of an innovative business line
- Become a Lead Technical Researcher
- Managing a team of Postdoctoral employees
Wolfe Laboratories, Inc. (WLI), located in Watertown, MA, is a premier contract research organization that provides integrated early drug development solutions to the biopharmaceutical industry. Wolfe Laboratories is an essential element of the drug development ecosystem, recognized by global and virtual biopharmaceutical companies as a science-driven organization whose mission is to provide outstanding discovery and development services tailored to its clients’ needs for rational formulation development. Wolfe Laboratories integrates the critical path components of early development to ensure that programs advance while meeting rigorous scientific demands with flexibility to address dynamic challenges and aggressive timelines. Wolfe Laboratories’ vision is to improve human health, and we continue to strive towards that goal by embracing our core values of integrity, excellence and teamwork. The company has a high percentage of repeat clients, which is a testament to its long-term commitment of continual investment in its capabilities to meet biopharma’s growing demand for high quality, integrated early development services.
For more information visit us at: www.wolfelabs.com.
Wolfe Laboratories, Inc is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator
This is a 12 month probationary general chemistry laboratory coordinator position in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The department currently has 13 full-time faculty and offers an America Chemical Society approved program.
The successful canidate will coordinate and teach laboratory sections of introductory, preparatory, forensics and general chemistry courses for science and non-science majors. Additional duties will include supervision and training of undergraduate student employees for laboratory preparation, maintaining laboratory curriculum development, grading, maintaining adequate supplies needed for courses; and coordinate between lecture instructors. Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Minnesota State University Association of Administrative Service Faculty (MSUAASF) which can be found at: http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/contract_plans/documents/MSUAASF_Plan_11_13.pdf
- MS in chemistry or related fields
- Experience in teaching undergraduate-level laboratory courses
- Demonstrate excellence in organizational and communication skills
- Evidence of current knowledge of experimental procedures and experimental design, laboratory curriculum development, chemical safety, and familiarity with MS-Office suite
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Ph.D. in chemistry or related fields
- Experince in supervising undergraduate student employment
To apply directly, click on http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm (click "Apply" within this posting to complete application)
The deadline for the receipt of all materials is August 13, 2014 and application review will begin at that time. Materials recieved after this date cannot be guaranteed consideration. The position is open until filled.
A complete application will include the following:
- Cover leter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching philosophy statement
- Contact information for three (3) current, professional references
- Undergraduate and graduate transcript(s) (copies acceptable for screening)
Boulder Pharma is state and locally licensed medical and retail marijuana company founded by Mark Hartwig (CU alum, ‘03 BS in Biochem) in 2013. The company contains both an Occupation Premise Cultivation license to grow marijuana, and a Manufacture of Infused Products license to perform extractions and create infused products. A small company, we strive to create a name for ourselves through creating the best infused products on the market. In addition to that, we are now up scaling our closed-loop butane extractor to enable us to become the leading concentrates producer in the area. We have recently expanded our growing space and infused products division and are in need of exceptional individuals who want to grow with us.
- Perform extractions on cannabis plant matter with a closed-loop butane extractor
- Create cannabis concentrates and infused products
- Keep a detailed lab notebook
- Enter information into inventory tracking system
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of butane extractor
- Analyze samples for cannabinoid content via HPLC and interpret results
- Basic computer and math skills
- Coursework in math, chemistry, physics, and engineering
- BS or higher in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to lift and maneuver 50 lbs
- Ability to bend, lift, kneel, and stand for several hours at a time.
- Experience with basic and advanced extraction techniques
- Knowledge of gas laws
- Experience with purification techniques
- Experience with chemical analysis (GC/MS, GC/FID, HPLC)
- Experience with weights and measures
- Ability to take rigorous lab notes
- Ability to pass a background check (no felonies, drug related crimes, etc.)
Senior Education Associate, Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholars
The ACS Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholars Office has an
open position that offers an opportunity to your senior graduate students or
postdoctoral scholars. We'd prefer candidates from the chemical sciences
(including biochemistry), and chemical engineering, since the role will
interact with graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, faculty and
administrators in these fields. I'd greatly appreciate your sharing the link to
the position description with your department:
The position, a "Senior Education Associate", requires a
candidate with project management skills (similar to those skills gained
planning and implementing scientific research projects), excellent
interpersonal, communication, time management, and organizational skills. This
opportunity would be great for anyone with an interest in transitioning from a
research career trajectory, to a business trajectory in their career. The
current role is closely tied to the Education Industry in the U.S., and
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Joe Z. Sostaric,
Manager & Staff
Liaison to GEAB
Postdoctoral Scholars Office | Education Division